Events CalendarThere are no upcoming events at the moment but please stay tuned
Blog Post CategoriesThere are no blog categories at the moment
Blog Post ArchivesThere are no blog archives at the moment
Murray Street Baptist Church (MSBC) started as a chapel in 1846. In 1884, the church moved to larger premises on Murray Street and after considerable growth a new building was constructed at the present location at 175 Murray Street in 1912. MSBC has been a landmark in downtown Peterborough. Over the years a number of initiatives were started. In 1980 MSBC had a Cable Television program. 1987 Baptist Women was organized. 1989 was the 50th Anniversary of Scouting in MSBC. A playground was created on MSBC property so that the “Y” (the present day old “Y”) could run a day care. In 1990 a lift was installed in a new addition to the building to make the building more accessible. In that same year the Pioneers Club program was started. Hand bells were purchased in 1996 and are used on a regular basis in worship. In 1999 the Heart-to-Heart group was started. In 2004 MSBC gave support to the chaplaincy program at Trent University and also support for the local “Habitat for Humanity”. 2006 was the 160th Anniversary Year which saw innovative activities: A Youth Concert with Christian Rock Bands, co-sponsored by KAOS radio station and a circus for children. A Ministry to Youth and Families was begun. In the intervening years there has been a strong emphasis on Social Action. Sunday Morning Breakfast has been going for a number of years as well as The Closet. A number of local groups use the facilities at MBSC for their ministries. MSBC is involved with a City- sponsored outreach initiative: The Warming Room which provides comfort for those on the streets begins November 1 and goes to April 30, seven nights a week.. Each year brings further opportunities for compassion and social action.